The government has decided to roll out the e-District project in 26 more districts following the successful implementation of the project in six districts of Tamil Nadu.
- On a pilot basis, the project has been taken up in Krishnagiri, Ariyalur, Coimbatore, Perambalur, Tiruvarur and The Nilgiris.
- At present, the services of four departments – Revenue, Social Welfare, Backward Classes & Most Backward Classes and Adi-Dravidar and Tribal Welfare – were offered online through the e-District portal.
- The services of various other departments, now being identified, are expected to go online in the near future.
- The e-District project would help in creating an automated workflow system for the respective district administration and facilitate in providing efficient services to the people.
- According to an order issued by the Information Technology Department a week ago, the government will ensure that the services are not confined to common services centres.
- At the district level, a District e-Governance Society (DeGS) has to be formed for implementing the project.