- A coach attendant was killed and another seriously injured when they were shot at apparently by two ticketless travellers inside a running express train in Burdwan district in the early hours on jan 14th.
- The duo were shot inside the AC compartment at 2.30am , minutes before the UP Himgiri Express reached Asansol Station, apparently by the two ticketless passengers who had boarded the train from Howrah Station late last night, Asansol Divisional Railway Manager Jagadananda Jha said.
- Sagar Thakur, who received bullet injuries on his chest, was declared dead at the Asansol Sub-divisional Hospital while Ganesh Shaw is battling for his life, he said.
- According to statements given by passengers to railway officials, two men who had forcibly boarded the train and had a fight with the coach attendants minutes later.
- They managed to seat themselves in the AC compartment and even took to drinking, which was opposed by the attendants, passengers said.
Coach managers must be trained to handle such situations and passengers must be made to show their tickets before entering the train to prevent such encounters.